Sunday, January 21, 2018

Top Tens of 2017: Introduction

Over the next ten days, I'll be bringing you some top ten lists right here. Five of them, to be precise, all at once, from the bottom of the list to the top. It's an idea I had when I was putting them together and noticed some strange synchronicities lining up; it's an experiment that I'm expecting to fail, but that I want to try anyway.

The lists will cover Podcasts, Videogames, Albums, Films, and TV Shows. So tomorrow, on the first day, there will be a post that reveals what I consider the tenth best podcast, game, show, movie, and record from last year. The day after will be number 9, and so on. I think that makes sense? Some entries will be a couple sentences, others will be a full essay; it just depends on how I felt like talking about them. Themes will, hopefully, arise throughout the numbers alongside broader themes on the list (which is to say: beyond things that I liked or watched and had some shit to say about).

After it's over I'll try to collate it in a more readable form for those interested in one list in particular. Maybe. This has been an absurd amount of work for something that was basically a joke. On the other hand, though, I wrote less in 2017 than I have since I started this blog, probably, and felt bad about it. So if you forgot (like I did sometimes) that I'm a writer, here's too many words to the contrary.

Oh, and a bonus: I also did a list of Books (I Read) of 2017, but didn't feel like I could do justice writing them up, so here it is in full:

10. Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier (Mark Frost)
9. World, Chase Me Down (Andrew Hilleman)
8. The Boy in the Earth (Fuminori Nakamura)
7. Pirate Utopia (Bruce Sterling)
6. Crash Override (Zoe Quinn)
5. Prodigal Summer (Barbara Kingsolver)
4. Last Orders (Graham Swift)
3. Ninefox Gambit (Yoon Ha Lee)
2. The Familiar Volume 4: Hades (Mark Z. Danielewski)
1. The Familiar Volume 5: Redwood (Mark Z. Danielewski)

Blog Archive